Okay, this is another blogpost from business category, as I write on varied interests. Today I am writing about some very unproductive business practices that leads to failure and negative experiences in our awesome MLM industry. New distributors can’t be blamed for this. Lack of guidance and wrong MLM prospecting tips prevents them from ever understanding the true nature and the fun of this business model. Keep reading, this one is interesting and amusing even if you are not in MLM.
What is MLM?
Incase you don’t know what MLM is, let me borrow my friend Sourav’s words:
Incase you want to know more about MLM first, read my MLM / Direct Selling / Network Marketing page.
What is ‘Prospect’ & ‘Prospecting’ ?
I guess these 2 terms are used not just in case of MLM, but all kind of businesses.
Prospects are people who are likely to be interested in buying your products and services. ( In MLM, people who are likely to be a consumer or a distributor or both).
And Prospecting is the art of finding right people who might be interested in buying your products and services.
Worst MLM Prospecting Tips You Can Follow:
1. “PM everyone on Facebook about your opportunity”
Similar variations: “Keep sending promotional Emails to every Email id you get your hands on” / “Talk about your opportunity to every stranger you meet in your first encounter”
So I’m looking in my Facebook private messages. I keep getting these messages about people asking me if I want to join their business opportunity. I swear to you I keep getting these and I keep laughing. Because these people are going nowhere and eventually going to blame the opportunity not themselves or their mentor (which is in a way the mentor’s fault I must say). Not even in person but in my email messages.
Often I wonder what the next opportunity they are going to join. Too funny, complete strangers asking me to join them. Then I stop laughing because I was doing the same thing, it isn’t funny at all. Sad really. Then I remember someone showed me the proper way to go about my business. I gently try to steer them in the same direction. I hope that they took my advice and at least thought about it. Oh well, you can’t help someone that doesn’t want or need your help.
Let’s take a common sense test
Imagine you are traveling in some public transport. A guy takes your next seat and immediately turn towards you to say
Hi I am John. I have an amazing shop for baby products ranging from toys to baby foods … blah blah blah … you’ll get better products for cheaper prices from me, even better than what you can find on Amazon … blah blah blah….
How would you feel? You’ll feel annoyed, disturbed, irritated and you’ll swear that you’ll never ever visit his shop even if you are nearby. Someone with significant temper, might even punch John’s face.
Then why would you take this approach while finding MLM prospects? Isn’t it one of the worst MLM prospecting tips to approach a stranger with your opportunity in your first encounter?
Now let’s image the story a bit differently:
You are traveling in some public transport. A guy takes your next seat and starts a natural conversation with you asking about the road, weather, your dress or something. You like talking to him. Before parting he says:
You know * Your Name * ! It was really nice talking to you. Do you have a card? Here is mine. If it’s okay with you, I’d love to get in touch with you on Facebook and know you better.
That night you two become Facebook friends. You two start interacting on Facebook. You see that he is also a real person like you. You like, comment on his updates, he does the same on yours. Now one day, when you post a photo of your baby on Facebook, this friend (he has become a friend by then, not stranger anymore) of yours comments:
Hey * Your Name *! Your baby is super cute! Where did you buy those clothes from? Btw did I ever tell you that I run a Kid store at * address * . Drop by if you are around. I have some really cute clothe collections in my store. I am sure those will look cuter when your baby would wear them.
Now tell me, wouldn’t you love to visit his store?
So why can’t we follow the same common sense method while prospecting for your MLM business?
Points to remember:
- Never talk about your business (company, products, opportunity) in your first encounter with a stranger.
- Talk about normal things like normal people.
- “Listen” more.
- Be genuinely interested in people’s lives.
- Be so pleasant that people would love to connect with you.
- Exchange visiting cards.
- Content of the card:
- Tagline (Value proposition) . E.g mine is: Helping people to get a healthier brain and a better lifestyle. My friends Sourav uses: Inspiring People to Live Their Best Lives.
- Your image. (Not too personal, not too professional. A really nice balanced headshot)
- Your website. (Personal website, preferably yourname.com … more on that later)
- Social Media Profile (Only the most active one)
- Email id. ( Professional ids like email@example.com preferrable)
- Content of the card:
- Add them to Facebook (or the common Social Network where both of you are active). You can add to Facebook lists to better organize.
- Add them to prospect lists (you can create in simple Diary or excel sheet or use apps like Evernote Hello)
- Keep in touch online, meet offline if possible.
- When time is right, or the person starts trusting you, share about your opportunity.
- Even if they doesn’t join, maintain the relationship. ( They might join later or recommend someone to you directly or indirectly).
- Keep connecting with more people from their connections.
2. “Spam Facebook groups with your opportunity pitches”
Similar variations: “Tweet people with your opportunity links” / “Keep posting about your opportunity on comment section of other people and page’s updates”
I have already written about it in one of my previous posts – Spamming Facebook Groups to Build Your MLM Business?
- Join Facebook groups related to MLM, only if you find it educational. E.g. Network Marketing Revolution. Don’t join any MLM group to find prospects or leads. Right prospects for your MLM business are those, who are not in MLM already and looking for what you have to offer.
- Join Facebook groups based on your interests. That can be on your favorite food, sports team, movie, charitable cause anything. Engage in meaningful conversations. Add value to the community. Interact with people.
- When you develop some trust with some people in those group, send them friend request with a personal message. As they already know you by then, they’ll accept it in most cases.
- Then take the sames steps discussed in last point.
3. “Keep sending people to your personalized company page / Opt-in page/ Lead Capture page / Sign up page”
I’ve often seen distributors only using personalized company pages like http://schmoo.brainabundance.biz/ and/or lead capture pages like http://schmoo.bapowerline.com and sending people to these pages and buying advertisements to drive traffic to those pages. But it’s also among worsts MLM prospecting tips. Why? Here are the reasons:
- For every distributors, these pages look exactly same. So how would you stand apart from the rest?
- These pages give all the information about your opportunity, but not about you. So why would a rational person want to build a business with a person they don’t know.
- When you send any people / lots of people to these sites – it’s a hit or miss game. They either join or they don’t. Why would they visit these pages again?
- Imagine 1 person is being sent to these similar pages from 10-20 different persons they know (who has joined the same company), how irritated they will be!
I will tell you together with the next point.
4. “Create a website keeping the name of the company or product in the url”
Similar variations: “Be an Internet marketing expert and draw traffic to your website.”
This suggestions is mostly given by people who might be expert in Internet Marketing, but understand nothing about MLM.
Using the Company name or product name in the url of your website might bring lots of traffic to your websites, might get you lots of sales for sometimes. But you’ll never be able to build a growing Network of distributors who could give you residual income . Why?
Imagine you get 100 people in your team in few months. What will be their website address? Imagine your company reaches 1 Million distributors, what will be website address for all those people? If you are great in Internet Marketing and appearing in the first page of Google search is making you successful, how will your downlines (people in your team) be able to duplicate your success? Everybody can’t be in the first page of Google search.
Not only that, using Company name and products in your website url creates lots of confusion for the visitors. It can harm the brand of the MLM company itself. For this reason, many MLM companies has prohibited this practice.
If you observe the most successful leaders in our industry ( not those who claims themselves overnight miracles, but those who are in this industry 10-20 years and respected my millions), you’ll see basic structure of their lead generation strategy is as follows:
- What You Need:
- Hosting for your self hosted WordPress website and a .com domain name. (Preferably yourname.com )
- Social Media Accounts:
- Facebook (Profile and Page)
- G+ (Profile and Page)
- YouTube (if you have a means to record video)
- Hootsuite to manage all Social Media accounts.
- Contents ( what are the topics you are passionate about? Not necessarily just your company and MLM. What are the topics you can write about that might be of interest to some people?)
- After the initial setup, what you have to do:
- Create and share regular contents on different Social Channels.
- Connect with people and interact.
- Build relationship and add them to your prospect list.
- Share you opportunity when the time is right.
- Give details about products, opportunity and the MLM company you are working with in your personal website. Your visitors will take a look and contact you if they are interested.
- Continue the process.
- Teach the same process when someone joins your team (perfectly duplicable)
If you don’t want to get into too much technical things, let my friend and adviser Sourav and his team setup everything for you and show you how to use the tools.
What if your uplines are giving you these Worst MLM Prospecting tips?
Though your uplines are experienced than you, but most probably they are not experienced enough to know the right way. Find someone on higher level, who can guide you in right direction.
Don’t worry if you don’t find right guidance in your company. There are many great books on MLM available that can show you right path or you can take help from Coaches like my friend Sourav who can guide you as your virtual upline.
What keeps me going in this business?
So what keeps me going in my business? Simple really, I see everyday that I’m progressing and generating lots of interest and I really can see that in a year or two I wont worry about my financial situation.
Another important vital component to your success is “Passion”. Are you passionate about the product(s) your representing? That was the very first step I took and in my opinion the most important. Tried the product of the company I am with, and I just fell in love with it. I just don’t know why everybody isn’t taking this product. This passion will keep you going and will keep you getting up everyday and work on your home based business.
I love the fact that when me and my wife and my daughter all three of us bump into each other at the top of the stairs and I consider that a traffic jam. Or working on my business in my underwear. That’s the life for me. Soon I will enroll my wife in my company. And my daughter when she’s 18.
Share your thoughts
Please share your thoughts in the comment section. Did you find this article useful? Have you ever used these types of prospecting methods? What was your experience?