If you are reading this, I am sure you already know what a “blog” is (clue: you are reading one). Probably you have started one too. But the question must have come to your mind “What should you blog about?”
“Popular Niche” Trap
A friend of mine the other day asked me for my opinion. He asked me what should he write in his next blogpost. He said that he writes most of his blogs about SEO or how to get traffic to a website. So I read a couple of his blogs and I couldn’t help it. I started snickering. How can you write blogs about being an SEO expert when you’re not an SEO expert? He said that he wanted to blog about something that everybody wants – “Advertising their website”. That’s the popular niche for blogging.
First of all I said “You are not an expert. You want to know what people want when reading a blog? They want to know that they are talking to a real person. With actual value.”
“But this has actual value.”
“No it doesn’t” I said. “You just wrote down old methods of traffic generating that doesn’t work anymore.”
Build Relationship & Offer Value
If you are reading this, probably you are blogging to generate traffic to your site. Whether you are trying to drive traffic to an affiliate site or to a biz opportunity, this is the only tried and true method of traffic generating.
Building relationships with people by writing blogposts of value.
Like gardening tips, your opinion about something or your favorite day at the beach.
I wrote a blog about my home made beer hobby I told him. Generic but useful information. That’s what I do.
So he’s thinking and he said, Oooooh! I see. I can write my experiences about when I back packed across Germany, or my hot wheels collection. Now you got it I said. The Dude has over 1500 hot wheels.
What You Should Blog About
Step by Step Path to Find Out
- Write down all the topics that
- you are passionate about,
- love to talk about,
- you enjoy learning,
- inspires you … etc.
- Now think rationally whether other people might be interested to read about it. ( For example: You might be very passionate about and love to talk about how handsome/beautiful you are or how rich you are, but do you think people would love to read your self obsessions? Trust me they won’t. But ofcourse they’ll love to read if you offer health, fitness and beauty tips. Or how to improve financial condition and live rich. Got the difference?)
- Do some Google search with the topics. If you can find lots of results, then other people are also writing about it and ofcourse there are people who are reading about it. ( If you want to get more technical , check out Google Explore Trend)
- Use Hubspot Blog topic Generator to get blog post ideas for the chosen topics.
- Start following blogs on the topics you have chosen. Use Feedly to keep an eye on the new blog posts. You’ll get new blog post ideas for your own blog.
- Keep your eyes and ears open online and offline. Listen to what people are discussing or asking questions on the topics of your interest. That would be great topics for your blog posts.
Warnings: Points You Need to Remember
I must also tell you some important points to remember while writing blog posts in your blog.
- Never ever copy blog posts from other blogs. Not only Google will penalize your for duplicate content, but also you might face legal trouble for stealing Intellectual Property.
- It’s okay to mention or quote portion from other blogs, but never forget to give proper credit to the original source with a hyperlink to that particular url.
- Of course you can write about things you are learning yourself. But do mention honestly that you are not expert and where are you learning from.
- If you are blogging just for fun, do whatever you want. But if you are blogging for a purpose, take some time to learn the basics of blogging – How to write a Search Engine Optimized blog post, how to promote blog posts once you publish it.
That’s it for now. I am also learning all this from my friend and adviser Sourav. I will share more as I keep learning.
So What Do You Blog About?
Now I am curious what you blog about. Let me know in the comment section.