OK, this is a non business type of blogpost but important none the less. To me anyway. Patience is a virtue, especially when it comes to the care and we’ll being of a 3 and a half year old girl.
First off her daycare that we put her in. Me and my wife checked around and we decided on this one particular one. She has made friends there, been invited to birthday parties and really came out of her shell.
But I asked them questions that are important for the safety of my child. These are the questions I asked.
- I made sure that this daycare had an open door policy. That’s so that I could go there and take her out when need be.
- Do they have a fire escape plan? Ask about vaccinations, sick child policy, falls and accidents.
- Ask about what if someone unfamiliar asks to take your child. Scary question I know but needs to be asked.
- Are they over capacity as far as children they take care of.
- First aid questions, cleanliness, potty training, toy safety.
- Are the toys in good condition? Do they replace toys when the eyes of a Teddy Bear are about to drop off and becomes a choking hazard. One place I looked at they kept there toys like tri cycles and big wheels out there in the winter. I wasn’t impressed with that.
Here are some more suggested by others.
• How long have you been in business?
• Do you have a current state/provincial license?
• Do you have other licenses? If you do, what are they and may I see them?
• Do you have space for my child? If not, can we get on a waiting list?
• What are your hours of operation?
• What’s your holiday schedule? On what other days are you closed?
• How flexible are you with pickup and drop-off times?
• Do you supply diapers, or is that up to the parent?
• What other supplies would I need to bring for my child?
• Do you encourage visits from parents?
• What do you expect from me as a parent?
• Do I need to bring in my child in for a pre-enrollment visit?
• What are your fees?
• Do you offer multi child discounts?
• Is there a late-pickup fee?
• Do I pay when my child is ill or we’re on vacation?
• How and when would you bill us?
The daycare my girl is in has helped us out tremendously. When she is at home she warns me she has to go potty, I quickly take her to the bathroom. She does her thing, everybody is happy. Less then one year and she goes to JK. Time flies, I remember her first day on this planet to yesterday back talking me. She doesn’t mean it though. Hope this blogpost has helped someone out there.
I’d love to know what are questions you did ask before choosing the right daycare for your baby?