Babies begin to teeth at about seven months. However, some children begin teething at about 3 months yet others begin even later then that, at one year-old. They will try to get at anything and chew on them, and they’ll also commence to drool a lot more than they normally do. Let me share some of my experiences on the topic.
Whenever the parents of the child started teething when they were babies is probably the same time that the baby will begin to teeth.
In order to try to make teething comfortable for your child, you can purchase them teething toys. That way, they wont grab at unsanitary & possibly dangerous objects. Their teething probably will end at about two to three years of age, and by then they should have approximately twenty baby teeth.
There are three types of teething toys available.
- Firstly, there are the soft toys which are meant for the beginning stages of baby teething. They come in the form of cloth and stuffed animals.
- Then comes the stage where the child’s gums are red and irritated. These are the soothing cool toys (as in temperature). These are hollow and filled with sanitized water. They are placed inside the refrigerator to chill to ensure that whenever your child has to gnaw on something the cool temperature helps make your baby’s gums much more comfortable. Your child may also be fascinated with, and have fun with the toy.
- The final type of teethers are solid baby toys for when you can see the teeth coming out of the gums. These teething toys are soft rubber and plastic which are painted with nontoxic paint. A good example are teething rings.
Baby teething toys may also perform other functions. Such as rattles that have ring handles and filled toys with teething bands attached. Baby teething blankets are helpful since they have rubber edges so your child can gnaw on them when being put to sleep. Some teething toys have built-in vibrators to massage your baby’s gums and make them feel better. Here are some teethers that were suggested to me and my wife by friends of ours. I am relaying this info to you.
Anyway, here are some excellent examples of the types of teethers that I’m talking about:
- The First Years Learning Curve Star Teething Blanket
- Sesame Street Elmo Teething Baby Blanket
- Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether
- Mesh Teething Baby Safe Feeder Feeding Food New
- Natursutten BPA-Free Chill-It Teether
If you haven’t figured out yet I am also a stay at home Dad. Wait, that’s not true. When my baby was a newborn I was a stay at home Dad because I work evenings. When my wife came home I would prepare dinner and then off to my afternoon work. Hope this blog helped all the Newbie Dads out there.
What teething toys have you used for your baby?